Pie Day

by Matt on March 14, 2013

I’m busy packing for a quick trip to Vermont tomorrow (four words: Maple Syrup Everything, Please!) but in recognition of National Pie Day today I thought I’d post some shots we did last week in the studio. Leftover berries and fruit never go to waste with us! And yea, it’s a galette and not a pie, although they are pretty much the same in my book.

Fruit For Galette fruit 2 mattbites galette

Brandon @ Kitchen Konfidence March 14, 2013 at 2:44 pm

Hehe I’m celebrating by making a pizza pie tonight. I definitely think there is room for interpretation with this holiday. The galettes look delicious!!

Cookin Canuck March 14, 2013 at 3:28 pm

Galette, pie…either way, it’s making me yearn for summer.

joey munoz March 15, 2013 at 10:14 am

I always love your blog and photos… I am looking into making some pie ideas and noticed how flaky and delicious your gallete / pie crust looks… I was wondering if you shared your recipe for the douogh/crudt anywhere? Joey Munoz / NC

Anna Carpenter March 15, 2013 at 11:46 am

Yummy! I have to try making smaller size gallettes, I usually make a larger one (cherry) in my wood fired oven… Are you going to share your dough recipe? Happy travels.

Dena March 15, 2013 at 12:39 pm

Great photos. YUM! I hope you enjoy your trip to Vermont. I am in nearby New Hampshire: maple sugaring going on everywhere.

Hurrah.

D

Mimi Avocado March 15, 2013 at 12:42 pm

Just got back from a visit to my homestate…Vermont! The neighbors were beginning to tap the trees…and by now they’re probably boiling sap! Enjoy!
Ask them to boil an egg in the sap for you…my grandmother used to love those!

Lizzy (Good Things) March 15, 2013 at 1:20 pm

Such a beautiful combination of colours and I bet this pie tastes so good.

Danny March 15, 2013 at 4:26 pm

Matt, beautiful photos as always and these pies look amazing! Enjoy your trip to VT! :)

Donna-Caroline Khoo March 20, 2013 at 5:31 pm

Ooh that looks delicious and very comforting on a windy day here down under.

I love the free form of the pie – it looks so organic and delicious and healthy….the photography is lovely with earthy tones too. I am feeling a little guilty now after making my moo cupcakes…as I want to eat more dessert now!!!

Love it
nectarandstone.blogspot.com
Donna

robyn @ the freckled pie March 22, 2013 at 10:38 am

i was so bummed i missed out on national pie day! luckily i’ve made up for it and posted my all time favorite lemon meringue pie. your pictures always make me crave the food you’ve posted… thanks. my house is free of berries and galettes. ;)

Russ Turner March 22, 2013 at 2:41 pm

Being basically a carnivore I rarely have room for a sweet course at home and it is only when we go out to eat that I indulge. The problem is that neither of us is any good at pies or cakes, fresh fruit salad is my limit.

However, looking at your sumptuous photos we are tempted to give it another go, but as a standby will keep a box of ice cream in the freezer.

Great Site

Kevin March 24, 2013 at 11:39 pm

Great photos, and those Pies looks absolutely Delicious. I think I’ll try making one this weekend.

Katie March 25, 2013 at 12:48 pm

I love the pictures. I can nearly taste the food!
Thank you!

Vicki Archer March 26, 2013 at 12:16 am

These look seriously good… I am sure that those pies lasted only seconds… :) xv

Jeff @ Cheeseburger March 26, 2013 at 2:24 am

It looks like pie, tastes like pie. That’s pie in my book as well.

Lawrence B March 26, 2013 at 4:45 pm

I have always been a but nervous to make pies.
I love them but the making of the pastry was always a bit difficult I thought.
May be worth trying these as you make it sound possible (even for me)
I’ll let you know how I get on.
Bookmarked for reference and future pleasant reading as I don’t have time to explore everything right now.

Whitney @ The Newlywed Chefs March 26, 2013 at 5:43 pm

Ooo your photos are so beautiful! I would like a slice now, please!

Crystal March 26, 2013 at 7:50 pm

Those pictures are beautiful! The crust looks super flaky too!

Lail | With A Spin March 27, 2013 at 7:40 pm

Let the spring begin. First time on your blog and can’t believe I didn’t know about it before. Consider me a fan already.

Asian Spice @ kampot-pepper.asia March 28, 2013 at 4:26 am

Very healthy all this red fruits. My greedy children will love especially the little touch of cream. I will just need to

Alan March 28, 2013 at 4:34 am

Call it a galette, call it a pie, call it whatever you want and i’m in. As a matter of fact, fresh fruit and pastry sounds so good I might even call it breakfast!

Debbie Harris April 2, 2013 at 9:11 am

I have just found your blog and love the styling and the recipes!

Lenore April 9, 2013 at 8:03 am

Love the photos Matt, I’m inspired to cook and to create better images.

Manju @ Manju'sEatingDelights April 19, 2013 at 9:51 am

Matt, I never even knew a day as “Pie Day” existed until I overheard two women mentioning it in the elevator on my way to work….love the pics and I love Pies too! n yeah pie or galette who cares ;-)

Alanna {The Bojon Gourmet} May 9, 2013 at 10:53 am

I love the negative space in this shot! (Just learned that term from reading your photography book cover to cover yesterday. ;) )

Caroline January 1, 2014 at 8:10 pm

So gorgeous! I love the lighting and that great backdrop. I wish you could take my photos for me! ;)