GET OUT! (a sneak peak!)

GET OUT!

No, really, I mean, get out!

Not as in get out because I don’t like you but more like let’s go outside.

So, last year we bought a little house. An adorable, well-loved house. And in the past 9 months we’ve turned the house into a home, complete with a brand new interior and a color treatment that makes me weep tears of joy. I mean that literally. Take a quick look.

before-after-nook

It’s not my intention to keep any of this a secret because a) I’m a blabbermouth and b) I love our home and its interior design thanks to the amazing Christian May.  But acknowledging how we all like to look at interiors these days (“Before/After”, “The Big Reveal”, “Move! That! Bus!”), I’m choosing to hold off just a bit before sharing it with the world. If you’ve been over then you’ve seen it taking shape, slowly but surely. And if you haven’t, well, check back shortly because we’ll be ready to share it with the world soon enough. Maybe here, maybe somewhere else. Who knows :)

Oh, but back to that Get Outside bit.

Ever since moving to California 17 years ago, I realized one thing: I am happiest outside. Bright sun, cool air (and sometimes not-so-cool and yes, smoggy) and views of the Pacific on one side and mountains on the other have fueled me and made me a very happy man. And I made a promise to myself when I first got to this Golden State: set up shop, make a home, and entertain with abandon. While a few of those things have come true over the years, we’re only now realizing that last part with the actual dream of being homeowners who just happen to want to throw a party in the backyard every now and then.  And a few months ago we began the process of turning our yard into something magical, a place where friends can stop by for beer and cocktails, enjoy a bbq or a pizza from the wood-fired oven, take a quick dip in a little pool and sit around next to a fire, wrapped in a blanket under the stars and talk about things until wee hours of the morning. Or until Adam tells me to get to bed and makes everyone leave. Or stay. Whatever.

In a nutshell, I’ve dreamed of turning this…

yard-before

Into this.

seating-area

And while the firepit with its seating is complete, there’s still quite a bit of construction left to be done. In the next few weeks I’ll be documenting the process, sharing images and progress, and eventually uploading the quicktime movie I’ve made of the entire project (from demolition to completion because yes, the camera tech geek in me couldn’t resist).

I also must perfect pizza doughs and learn to cook in a wood-fired oven and I’m sure there will be plenty of mistakes. Maybe I’ll document those too (if I don’t eat them first!)

But lastly, I want to say one thing.  A huge part of me never wanted to take this leap of faith (and part with the hard earned cash) to make something like this come true. In a way I never thought it was possible or that I should do it, for whatever messed up reason. Deep down inside I still feel like a modest kind of guy. But in light of realizing that so much in this world can disappear in an instant and that life is meant to be lived and shared with others, well, I’m just going to stop analyzing it all and just be. And I hope you’ll be there with me to come over and eat.

So let’s get out, shall we?

Comments

Matt & Adam – CONGRATS!!!!!!!!

Your house is exactly the most perfect house ever for you two! The transformation is remarkable and while it would personally give me sweaty palms and a headache to deal with it all, clearly, the results speak for themselves and it’s just stunning! Bravo!! And I hope you throw some fabulous summer parties :)

i’ve been so happy to be involved with the process of making your house a home! i couldn’t ask for more gracious and creative co-collaborators!

3. Martha says

Oh my goodness! Oh my gosh!!! Love! It really is amazing! I don’t think money is wasted on home that you love and will use. The outside looks amazing! This totally motivates me for my outdoor work this weekend! Can’t wait for the rest…

Congrats to you both!! A home is an investment and what you’ve done so far looks amazing!!

What I cannot wait to see… is the reading space as I know this house will have one. I am certain of it.

Yay!!

To clarify on my reading space comment… I am a reader and so that is what excites me most. I envision a cookbook shelf in your case.

Love it, Matt. Love the bright breakfast nook that exudes sunshine. Hope you kept the trumptet lily tree! I have a dream of living with an ocean view. Hope I can make it come true. Glad you took your leap of faith! Can’t wait to see the rest. Especially the kitchen!

Love how cheerful the new eat-in area is in your kitchen. Color makes such a big difference. And I am envious of your backyard seating area — talk about a great place to gather with friends all night long while staying warm. Taking the plunge to make a house a home is definitely scary after we went through 3 years of gutting and remodeling a house but it’s so worth it in end. I never want to live through one of them again (I’ll stay in a hotel) but it was sooo worth it. :) Can’t wait to see more of your incredible transformations!

8. Patty says

Great job Christian! Congrats Matt and Adam on a real gem of a house. Time for those outdoor the parties to begin!

Hear, hear! LOVE that fire pit. Since I live in NYC with a pathetic excuse for outdoor space, I’ve spent the last 5 years not so secretly attempting to convince my father-in-law that we need a fire pit (so he can slow roast his Texas-style whole pig, of course!) so I can contemplate the world outside and grill some pizza too :) Win-win, no?

Wow… I keep looking at the fire pit and backyard SO beautiful. Thank you also for showing before and after at the same angle !!
    Can’t wait to see more

this is beautiful, happy to hear you took the leap. that IS what it is all about, isn’t it? you certainly cannot take it with you, and being present with the people that mean the most, creating a space to enjoy…

Cheers!

Hey, you can’t take any of your stuff with you in the end, so you might as well invest it in something meaningful, just like you’re doing.

This is really beautiful! Look forward to seeing more about your house, too … As someone who very recently moved into a new house with outdoor space, I am eager to get it set up for outdoor lounging and entertaining. I too love being outside, and especially love to eat al fresco whenever possible. Cheers!

14. Allison says

Matt, I think I need you to come over and give me house facelift pointers. My 1979 log home really needs a makeover, and I LOVE what you did with your dining area!