I believe life happens quickly. Be prepared to get the most out of it.
I believe people who cook and feed others are some of the most generous and warm people on the planet.
I believe food unites us.
I believe in a person’s personal choice when it comes to food, free of dogma and preaching.
I believe real food has real flavor. You can keep the fake stuff.
I believe sharing a meal with strangers strengthens us all.
For the past 20 years I’ve been immersed in food in one way or another. As a former graphic designer and art director in the food industry I’ve surrounded myself with great food before I began branching out into photography and blogging as a way to expand and share my passion for all things food and drink. High and low, near and far, food and flavor have always been my driving force and the stories that shape how and what we eat have always captivated me.
I began my blog in 2005 as a way to share my personal take on food and those behind-the-scenes moments I experienced in my work. It’s a labor of love that has led to some of life’s most interesting moments all over the world.
Mattbites has been recognized by numerous publications, editors and writers and is one of the charter members of Martha’s Circle, a selection of lifestyle blogs selected by the editors of Martha Stewart Living. In September 2008, I made my favorite cookie recipe with Martha Stewart during her daytime television show devoted to the topic of blogging.
In 2009 I began teaching workshops devoted to food photography as well as speaking on food styling and photography at conferences, schools and colleges. Keep an eye for this space for upcoming dates and if you’re interested in more please email me.
My first cookbook called On A Stick! was released by Quirk in May 2011. You can find it here. My second book, Focus On Food Photography For Bloggers, was released in 2012 and features tips and tricks for everyone.
I live in Long Beach with my partner Adam Pearson (a food stylist!) and three dogs.
- Martha Stewart
- The New York Times
- The Los Angeles Times
- Everyday Food Magazine
- The Martha Blog
- The New Yorker
- Bon Appetit
- House Beautiful
- The Times Online
- Serious Eats
- Everyday Food
- Calgary Herald
- Austin American Statesmen
- Times Online UK
- Edible Los Angeles
- LA Weekly
- Woman’s World
- Eater LA
- Tory Burch
- Olive Magazine
- Canadian Living
- Dallas Morning News
- Friday Magazine, Dubai
- Gourmet Live
- Saveur Magazine
- Paula Deen
- Everyday With Rachael Ray Magazine
Interviews & Features
- Design*Sponge: In The Kitchen With Matt Armendariz
- Q&A With Matt Armendariz in Everyday Food Magazine
- NBC Interview with Matt Armendariz
- NBC Latino: Food Blogs We Like
- Inspire*Inspire Interview with Matt Armendariz
- Feature Shoot Q&A with Matt Armendariz
- Meet The Food Bloggers: Mattbites in Times Online
- LA Weekly’s Squid Ink Interview with Matt
- IACP: The International Association Of Culinary Professionals
- Bon Appetit Magazine: How To Take Perfect Food Photos
- Tory Burch: Tastemakers’ Guide To The Holidays
- West Elm’s Interview with Matt at Front & Main
- Los Angeles Times interview with Matt Armendariz
- Design Sponge Thanksgiving Feature
- Aida Mollenkamp’s Tastemakers: Matt Armendariz
- Clickin Moms Interview: Matt Armendariz
- Matt’s photo clients include La Brea Bakery, Target, Food Network, Cooking Channel, Coca Cola, In N Out, Pom Wonderful, Coastal Living Magazine, Time Magazine, Food + Wine, and various cookbooks. Visit www.mattarmendariz.com.
For more information and frequently asked questions, please visit the FAQ section of Mattbites.