It is impossible to enjoy this pie without smiling. Just try it. See? You can’t. It’s definitely in the category of FUN PIES, if there ever was a classification. It’s quite simple, delicious, and has its legions of fans who want nothing other than a super high chocolate pudding pie. This recipe comes from Saveur and it’s a winner.
Chocolate Pudding Pie
1 1/2 cups flour, plus more for dusting
1 tsp. kosher salt
7 tbsp. unsalted butter
1/4 cup ice-cold water
1 cup sugar
⅓ cup cornstarch
1/2 tsp. salt
4 egg yolks
3 cups milk
2 oz. unsweetened chocolate, chopped, plus shaved for garnish
3 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup heavy cream
1. Pulse flour, salt, and butter in a food processor into pea-size crumbles. Add water; pulse until dough comes together. Roll dough into a disk and wrap in plastic wrap; chill 1 hour.
2. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 12″ round. Fit into a 9″ pie plate. Trim edges and crimp; chill for 30 minutes.
3. Heat oven to 375°. Using a fork, prick the dough all over. Line dough with parchment paper and fill with pie weights or dried beans; bake until golden, about 20 minutes. Remove paper and weights and bake until cooked through, about 5 minutes more; let cool.
4. Beat sugar, cornstarch, salt, and egg yolks in a bowl and set aside. Heat milk over medium-high heat until bubbles form around the edge. Slowly add in egg mixture, whisking constantly until thick, 4–5 minutes. Remove from heat and add in chocolate and vanilla; stir until chocolate has melted and incorporated. Pour into prepared pie shell and cover with plastic wrap directly on the surface; refrigerate until firm, 4–6 hours.
5. Whip cream until stiff peaks form. Remove plastic wrap from pie and cover with whipped cream and chocolate shavings.